Saturday, June 19, 2010

THE HELP

I hadn’t read a REALLY good book in quite some time, until I happened to pick up The Help one day while at the beach. After reading the first chapter....
......it literally consumed my life.

Set in Jackson, Mississippi during the early 1960s, Kathryn Stockett’s The Help captures the reality of what it was like to be an African American in the deep south during the Civil Rights Movement. The book is fiction; however, the substance of the book--the hatred and the love and the racism and the overwhelming courage it took for one to take a stand--is heartbreaking and, I’m ashamed to say, quite true.



You’ll laugh. You’ll burn with anger. And if you’re anything like me, you’ll probably shed a few tears.


readitandweep. i did.


Always,

Mg

No comments:

Post a Comment