Monday, June 14, 2010

And the Weddings Begin.

REUNION.





...to celebrate Miss Elizabeth May becoming Mrs. Read Meadows.
How sweet are these two?

My weekend was nothing short of a success, consisting of a night out in Jackson, Mississippi on Friday, followed by the most incredible wedding celebrating the two most incredible people. I think a few tears started to fall before Elizabeth even walked down the aisle. As I sat in the church choking back tears, with three of my very dear, dry-eyed friends sitting beside me, I began to question myself as to why I always seem to lose it at weddings. I have attended funerals, watched sad movies, gotten my heart broken--all without shedding a tear. Yet here I am, celebrating the fact that my sweet friend, Elizabeth, is marrying the man of her dreams, and you would think I was attending her funeral. As we all bowed our heads to pray at the end of the service, my heart began to melt as I listened to the sweetest, most sincere, most precious, most spiritual prayer I have ever heard, and suddenly, it dawned on me.

I realized that my tears weren’t the result of some kind of hyper-sensitivity, nor were they born out of my longing to be the one wearing white. A wedding is a worship service; a marriage is a covenant, one that is made before God, and nurtured by his sweet, eternal love.

And they’re hard. A marriage is far from easy. So isn’t it beautiful? Isn’t is precious when, by Christ’s redemption, two sinners can vow to love each other, for better or worse, as long as they both shall live?

I cry at weddings because, once again, I am reminded of how big, how sovereign, my God is. And once again, I am overwhelmed. I stand in awe. My heart sings, and I’m moved to tears.

But after the wedding is over, my tears dry up quickly, and I partake in unlimited amounts of finger foods, champagne, and wedding cake. And naturally, I’m usually one of the first to the dance floor.
one down, 5 more to go.

Always,
Mg

No comments:

Post a Comment